Sunday, July 26, 2015

Updating the old bedroom set...

Although we're completely revamping the bedroom, I couldn't bring myself to part with anything but the old king size pencil post bed.

I actually love all the pieces that went along with the bed, so we're keeping them. We purchased the entire set at an unfinished furniture store back in 1989 and then "we" (aka hubby) stained it dark brown (Jacobean Minwax). 

It has served us well over the years and the drawers are as strong and sturdy as they were when we first bought it.

Of course Baby had to check everything out before we started painting.

I got all of the pieces painted within 2 days because we had a tight deadline. The painting had to be done before the floor people arrived.

Mission accomplished! The floors went down and the newly painted furniture went back into the bedroom.

Painting everything white really gave the set a whole new look. By putting an applique above the mirror....

... and replacing the old wooden knobs with glass ones, the set took on more of a cottage/farmhouse look rather than the previous country/primitive look.

One thing that didn't change was the boudoir chair that I've had for close to ten years. I always said that when I eventually updated the bedroom, this chair would be the inspiration for my color scheme.

And is this not the cutest little vintage wicker hamper? $4 at Savers. I couldn't pass it by!

More of the bedroom to come. There's still a LOT to be done, but little by little!

Have a great week, everyone!

Donna



9 comments:

Carla said...

Looks nice.

Betty said...

I love how you painted the pieces white. They look so much better I think. It is strange, when we were young I loved everything all wood, but now I have been painting our wood pieces white too.

BeachGypsy said...

Big project! Its looking great!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

What a change! Looks great! Love the white

Jeannine520 said...

That Baby looks like a good helper. Luckily she's so willing. ;-) The difference in the furniture after the paint is amazing. Can't wait to see the rest.

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Oh my things are looking lighter and brighter! Cant wait to see the rest!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Donna,
Your furniture looks great painted, I usually don't like painted furniture but your style of furniture looks great white. Love the chair and that hamper is a cutie, and at a great price!
Looking forward to seeing more,
Gina

Unknown said...

So bright and sunny! I loved the look of the furniture pieces when they were dark but they look completely different and wonderful all snowy white! Nice job!

Jean Tuthill said...

I love the white...it is so pretty now.It totally changes the whole look of the room. Great job!